Wednesday, January 13

me and darren...

i am very disappointed with darren dictionary.
he has let me down...
i have told him, how can i rely upon him if he takes his responsibilities so lightly.
in the meantime i have written out the word 'nook' fifty times in the hope of remembering how to spell it.


my only hope upon using the word 'knook' yesterday is all you lovely readers in other parts of the world will have assumed it is the american spelling and all you lovely readers stateside will presume it is some quaint old english spelling.
i am on high alert now with darren, it will take a while before he gains my trust back.
i'm trying to find it in me to forgive and forget but for now i'm stewing on it.

last night i went 'a thrifting'.
interestingly i have noted my allergies have been most 'happening' again, even with my daily dose of allergy prevention medication.
on saturday night and last night, as i perused the afghan and bedding aisle, i had quite the attack.

i mentioned to my man that i assumed my lack of thrifting over the past month has caused my built up immunity to thrift stores to be come obsolete.
the only answer is i feel sure... without a doubt, in fact it would be most obvious to you and to me. i need to get some serious thrifting in over the coming weeks, thus building up my contact with whatever it is in the thrift store that causes me to weep and snuffle thus allowing me to go for a longer period of time in the store before i break down and have to leave...

on arriving home at the shed with dumpy candle in hand, for now i look at all sorts of things when in the thrift store, including ways to light the kitchen NOOK... i have seen some lovely homes on Flickr of late, mainly Scandinavian dwellings that seem to have a way with displaying candles, making their abodes look casual, glowing and nesty. obviously i don't actually have a table yet for the candles to grace, giving my NOOK a Scandinavian ambiance, but i'm working on that...
but i digress,
on returning home to the shed i found a note.
a note that lightened my heart.


it's a rare thing for my clan to take note of what i'm doing with regards to my 'making' and 'rambling'.
they appear to do a good job at noting my crappy cooking skills and lack of 'laundry doing' which i find most interesting...
and so to find a little note attached to my latest piece of textile recycling was truly most welcomed.
i don't need
yearly reviews,
hand shakes,
or an extra bonus
(well actually that last bit sounds quite nice)
but for my point i'm making we must dismiss such things as bonuses and special ballpoint pens that come in lush looking boxes.
no dearest readers, a little note that reads
"mummy, i really like this, love Meg"
is all i need.

she will return tomorrow with an update of her hooking ways ~ Tif

29 comments:

Jennifer said...

I definitely think some extra thrifting is in order to get those allergies manageable again. What a sweet note, what a great compliment.

Ange said...

Yes - It's funny how that admirative word from a child makes our day. No other word means as much (after noticing the crappy cooking etc!!)

silverpebble said...

Tif I am on the verge. I have audited my flimsies and counted my trackie bottoms. I raided my jeans pile and found a pair I'd forgotten about. These shall be my utmost jeans. I realised with relief that I am allowed to buy underthings and do not have to rely on coconut halves or grapefruit skins.

Oh, though. Before I discovered the land of the mossy shed I was about to buy 1.6m of THE fabric for some curtains. 'Dandelion clocks' by Sanderson. Oh the swooning and sighing. I am resolved. I will make my own. Am I allowed to buy some plain calico though, so that I might bedeck it with hand-printed things of my own design? This is an 'utmost' dilemma.

By the way, it seems that you house fairyfolk in your kitchen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knook

How very intriguing. I guess your person of ethereal floaty persuasion might be called Geoffrey. He likes baked beans.

Calmil2 said...

What a sweet girl you have :) I really like it too. Oh, and I can't spell at all so I didn't even catch your "knook" spelling.
Harmony

Andrea said...

I assumed you were being "quirky" "eccentric", that it was intentional!
:)
Andrea

Fleur de Boheme said...

Hi, concerning the challenge - just wanted to let you know that I´m in ;-)

I´ll put your button on my blog tomorrow and link back to you.


Bye Kirsten

Nina said...

Oh, that is a lovely dear fine honest comment. I´m so happy for you.

Kristi said...

I really like this too!

Marg said...

Aha, I did wonder. Thank you again for your lovely blog, I always look forward to reading your posts and looking at your lovely photos and beautiful creations. Isn't it wonderful (and often earth shattering!!!) when a mother receives a compliment from her teenage daughter.

Salvage Thread said...

Been away but now i am back, so glad to see you are still out there and a mad a cheese Stephne XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Humbolt, the troll said...

I wish we were neighbors, I love reading your blog and would like to sit and have a cup of tea or something and just talk with you.

Pomona said...

I think knook was a much more interesting way to spell it - why be hidebound by convention?

And I do relate to the whole chilblain/tomato face thing - it happened to me, too - as I have just revealed to the world.

I'm with you on the bonus, too - I feel that executives deserve that sort of thing - but nothing produces the warm glow that little notes do (apart from the chilblain tablets, that is).

Pomona x

Anonymous said...

I spell it "nook" too.

And, today I am wearing my apron. all. day. long.
making, crafting, and just being happy in my home.

I don't need no stinkin bonus either.

Laura Bray said...

I was just telling my husband last night how happy I am to have my four year old daughter around to tell me how WONDERFUL everything I make is. Is there hope? Will she actually supportive when she gets older too?

GerryART said...

Hey, this is the Dottie Angel blog, isn't it?
If this is the way she spells KNOOK who are we to question?
We go with the flow. :^)

Ticking stripes said...

But I thought knook was so delightful! And you're right - all we need is those few words of appreciation - a metaphorical bonus!

Vic said...

Oh my dear I enjoyed 'knook' immensly & thought it was intentional, very "Tif" if you like, and I doubt anyone would have thought you didn't absoloutely mean it... until you declared it to the world that is! ;)

Ah.... such little notes are surely meant to melt your heart & render you helpless!

PS, With a name like Darren, that dictionary of yours is clearly not up to his job. What you need is a fellow named Walter or Oscar.

Katie said...

I thought it was only me that emits bodily dribbles and lurgies when I'm thrifting, but now I have a friend lol. Your daughter is a sweetheart, that note tickled my heart xox

Trudy said...

I think I prefer the spelling of nook with a "k", it adds a nice symmetry to the word, and it's so much more fun to pronounce ... k-nook!!
Trudy

. said...

Don't be too hard on Darren...I really like a silent 'k' shaped addition to certain 'n' words...my favourites are knickers, knobs and knockers which makes me sound a little like a dirrrrty old man (to be said a la Steptoe); in reality I just like the way these three words look when you jot them down, x

Drewzel said...

I knoticed the "knook" spelling but thought it was just a kname that you'd given it with your usual Tif quirkiness :P

Anonymous said...

Glad that lightened your day, dear Mummy. Of course we always love what you do.
#1

dottie angel said...

i think you are all quite right, just like my buddy debbie said only this morning. surely dottie angel spells it with a 'k'...
it does appear to be so much more exciting to have a sewing knook then a sewing nook.
thanks for the link silverpebble, very informative stuff :)
and jus, that must be where i made the mistake, having always been attracted to 'sniggering' words like knobs and knockers. i believe this was from my younger years and being bought up watching benny hill. i'm not sure my parents are as qualified as i originally thought... who allows their small child to watch benny hill!!

koralee said...

Oh I am a speller failure..so not to worry...but I know what you mean..if I spell something wrong my blog it bugs me for days. Your daughter is a sweetie. Off to visit your etsy shop!

Stace and Joey said...

Kitchen Knook. It flows I had to go look. I like it. Leave it lie. Let it be the name for that spot in the house!

Unknown said...

I think "knook" is a perfectly legitimate spelling! And the embroidery piece is so beautiful! how could anyone, even a teenage daughter, fail to be in love with it?

Emerson Bindery said...

Allergies are a bear, aren't they?! As for those silent K's...well, they just like to slip in whenever they can...no fault of your own! :D

Jana Huddleston said...

No note from my children, I'm sorry to say, but I daughter did wear on of the aprons I made to school yesterday...the only comment made to her was by a young boy named Luke who apparently likes girls that wear aprons! Anyway, I love your blog!

Florence Knapp (Flossie Teacakes) said...

I've just found your gorgeous blog after I saw one of your lovely photos in a Flickr gallery (I think...I'm not sure I can find my way back to where I was now!) - what beautiful pictures you take. x