Thursday, January 21

a basket case of sorts...

before we start today's thrilling installment i must just point out that all pictures are unrelated to my heartwarming tale. they are just random bits of 'eye candy' to help you get through the ramble, and let me tell you, you're going to need it...


having got that out the way i shall proceed with a tale from my 'challenge of the utmost kind' life.
i am now four months into my challenge and a 'happening' that happened to me this past tuesday, has happened to renew my faith and stay strong a long the path of thrifty handcrafted righteousness
allow me to enlighten you dearest readers on this day that just past...

i have a dishwasher.
i have a love hate relationship with my dishwasher. i love him because he does the dishes leaving me to not have to, but i hate him because he doesn't do it to the best of his abilities.
it is not his fault, for within my dishwasher lurks a cutlery basket, my cutlery basket has five compartments

("why this truly is the most thrilling of reads Tif, i think you may have surpassed yourself this time" i hear you interrupt...
"why thank you kindly" i say in return)

now as i was saying, my cutlery basket has five compartments which most of you will think is nothing special or worth note. but what i haven't yet revealed is, for the past year only one of those compartments has a sealed bottom to it.
for near on a year i have cursed and sworn at my clan for tossing their cutlery into the bottomless compartments and avoiding the one with a bottom.
(that is when they can actually find the dishwasher, which isn't very often i might add)
forks, knives and spoons left to dangle through, causing a blockage of the worst kind.
resulting in my dishwasher not preforming his duties to the best of his abilities
and me using language inappropriate for a lady of any description.


on tuesday i exclaimed to my man i could stand it no longer, i was a broken kitchen worker driven to insanity by the ridiculous of the situation.
armed with my little sad plastic cutlery basket i left Mossy Shed, intent on locating a new one despite my challenge.
first port of call, our local appliance center.
the very nice man looked rather crescent fallen when he glanced up from his desk hoping to find a customer intent on buying a whole array of shiny new appliances and not just one plastic replacement basket.
my attire put paid to any doubts in his mind that i was for the persuading...


he informed me, they were not the place for me, but that the very place i was looking for happened to be in the industrial area ten minutes further down the road.
by now all i could see was precious thrifting time being spent locating this darn plastic basket. i proceeded to the industrial estate armed with the very nice man's directions and then proceeded to drive around umpteen laps until i discovered a tiny door with the correct number above.

once again with my 'seen better days' basket i entered a door into a tiny front area where a lady stood behind her tiny desk.
"can i help you?"
"i'm hoping against all hopes that you have a replacement for this" i said, placing my mangled little basket upon her tiny desk top
"ah well, we don't actually, but we could special order it in, if you have the serial number with you" she offered
"oh... i was so hoping you would have one and now i have to go home to get the number" i replied dejected and disheartened
"well i suppose i have this one but it's used" she offered up whilst turning to retrieve her pen holder from the side...

and that was it dearest readers, the moment i knew the 'thrifty handcrafted challenge' gods had shone down on me once again.
for in her hand she held a used, old but still with it's bottom, little plastic cutlery holder. it's handle long gone and it's color well faded...
"i'm wondering if you can pull the handle off yours and reattach it to my pen holder, then you can have my pen holder and i can have your broken basket in return" she suggested
"but won't your pens fall through?" i asked
"no worries, i'll just put a bit of foam in the bottom and that will do the trick" she smiled


i left the little appliance place with a warm and fuzzy feeling in my heart...
i told the lady, she had quite possibly made my whole year, for in my hand i had a cutlery basket to end my cursing days and best of all it was secondhand and didn't cost me a penny.


now if that little tale didn't warm you through and through then i'm hoping at least the pictures of randomness helped pass the time nicely for you.

she is thanking you most kindly for giving used dog and little olive canvasing time on your doorsteps ~ Tif

42 comments:

Lola Nova said...

Oh, to have seen that crescent fallen man ;)
That is a tale worthy of a bit of renewed faith and a happening most shiny. In fact, whilst I do believe it to be true, I'm finding it almost too good to be true. And it's also making me misty for a dishwasher (which no matter the 20 ways till sunday that we measure our kitchen petite, no dishwasher used or new will squeeze in).
Well, I am pleased as punch for you and Mr. washer. Now, I must away for the Fraulein is impatient and I told her I'd only be gone a sec.
PS I cast my vote for you dear.
...and kathleen's is looking quite sweet!

Jennifer said...

I love it when that happens. Just imagine how much fun it'll be doing the dishes now. By the way, I love how you dress, you always look gorgeous. Love the bag in the first photo, it's beautiful.

theroofcat said...

I lov' ur blog! It's such a lovely space to sit and relax ... with all the beautiful things you make.
I really enjoy your narratives too...

Sxxx

www.theroofcat.blogspot.com
www.catpensandneedles.blogspot.com

Pomona said...

Just voted - you're in the lead I think? Glad the robins and angels have been helping you, too!

Pomona x

Adrienne said...

A great story! Gives us all hope....I can see how it made your day. I just recently came across your blog and have so enjoyed your postings and love your photos! I love your style....

Unknown said...

Seek and you shall find...I wish you and your basket many happy years of washing dishes.

Judy said...

Loved your story. My favorite kind, with a happy ending!

I have two baskets for my (very very old) dishwasher and consider myself blessed.

mamas collection said...

Oh Huzzah!!! I love stories with happy, thrifting endings!!

Pearl and Pebble said...

I just love happy endings!!

Deborah said...

tif, that is really an amazing story.
i,m so happy for you and your dishwasher! What's the dishwasher's name? Let me guess--dirty harry??

GerryART said...

Some days are just plain 'GOOD'

andrea creates said...

'tis a miracle :)
i have a love hate relationship with my machine too.

Blåbærpai said...

What a sweet little story:)Heartwarming indeed! who could ever resist helping you!
Of course I have voted for you, without even glancing at the other " competitors"!
Enjoy your Friday!:)

Anonymous said...

it was a good read, and the pictures of randomness were brilliantly enlightening! thanks again dottie angel.....your frequent visitor ...the newly established blogger...creative carmelina!

Cat said...

I loved your story. Isn't kindness wonderful?

Christina Lowry said...

They certainly were shining on you, those thrifty gods! What a novel pen holder too. I love story with a happy ending. :)

jodi said...

oh, how wonderful!!

Still Lily said...

oh lo and behold those cutleries who once dangled through the bottomless abyss, will now rest peacefully whilst being scrubbed and rubbed! what a great tale of 'thrifty handcrafter challenge'! well done.

Maria | Vintage Simple said...

Oh, I loved this post so..! I will have to come back and read some more when I am feeling less sleepy (it is nearing my bedtime on my side of the world). Until then...sweet dreams when sleep comes your way...

warmly,
-maria

M* (Melanie) said...

It's a glorious tale. Thank you for sharing it.

dottie angel said...

i most report that tonight was the first night in a year that i have been merrily, positively loading the dishwasher. dropping in cutlery with glee and not a single cursing word lingers in the air.
i have found the whole kitchen duty bit to be far more relaxing even though i have once again served up an 'orange' colored meal... a speciality of mine :)

thank you my lovelies, for now i can sleep well knowing my cutlery is staying in place and your hearts have been warmed by my thrifty tale
Tif x

PixieBelle said...

I do love your manner of writing. It always set me up in a good mood for the day as it's in writing how I think in my head. Wonderful!
What a great thing to happen. Really glad it kept you on your good path for the year.

barbara said...

Enjoy your beautiful free basket now (and forever hopefully) - love your outfits ....

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Absolutely fantastic!!! I think that lovely lady and you might have a bit in common.

Kristi said...

Love your story and the photos! The thrifting gods must be very busy lately.

Rubyred said...

So pleased that your cutlery is where it's meant to be!
I've had dishwasher issues myself lately!
Just voted for you too, I think you're doing very well over there!
Rachel x

Tonia said...

Who could resist Little Olive's pleas?
Thirfty gods have indeed been smiling here in UK too, replacing cat dishes and remote holders with gay abandon!

Floss said...

Wonderful story! Firstly I know how you feel, because our last dishwasher had exactly THAT kind of basket... and secondly, HURRAY for synchronicity and ladies with adaptable pen baskets!

FABRICOTTI notperfectbutnice said...

I always think "oh I dont have time to read this!" (washing,DISHES,bed making,cleaning and tending to screaming kids.......and crafting are a calling) BUT every-time I do I am so encouraged :)
Please keep writing, I'll keep reading!

Haust said...

Wonderful! :D I really like your outfit, by the way!

Anonymous said...

I had to reinforce my basket with cable ties to prevent the base falling out. I think sharp knives placed pointy end down caused the problem along with over loading the basket. I suggest you reinforce your new/old basket asap with cable ties so you can stay in bliss. Cheers Jan

Serenata said...

Isn't it just perfect when things fall into place (and stay there ;-)! ) like this. Glad all is happy again.

Caterina Giglio said...

but of course! the recycle goddess has saved the day again! It is the way it works for me!

Lise said...

Your eye candy is delicious! I could eat it up all day. Thank you for such gorgeous inspiration!

DuhBe said...

Serendipity at its finest. Thank you for sharing the dishwasher story. I'm thinking even harder about joining your challenge.

Vickie said...

Dottie

When I saw you were having more bags in your store I was so excited....I reminded myself to remind myself to remind myself to get on the computer first thing Thursday morning so I could snatch one up.....well, of course, the best laid plans fell thru and I missed them yet again.....any way to special order or will you be making more soon?????? hopefully??????

Vickie in Seattle

Elissa said...

warmed through and through, but still loving all the eye candy....

dottie angel said...

so lovely to know you are warmed through and through by little tale, dearest readers...

as to the bags dearest vickie, now that i have tested the waters and come to the conclusion that my little sunshine sacks are indeed not madness born from a thrift store find, then i shall indeed be making more...
when Miss Ethel has rested a while

Tif x

Unknown said...

I just love to hear stories about people being good and kind! Thank you for sharing that:)

* said...

fantastic!!!

Tricia said...

:-)

Lovely story thanks. I just love it when that happens.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous things