Wednesday, June 6

the one in which Tif fights the dark side and 'show and tell'...

yes, i hold my hand up and admit to having some very negative thoughts this week and i can see why Anakin Skywalker turned to the dark side...but if he had owned a sewing machine, i feel it might have turned out a little better for him...(i still can't believe that sweet little boy could grow into such a bad man...my man says "that's life, Tif" and i say "but it's wrong he is just so sweet looking, how can he turn into Darth Vader") anyway i have digressed as usual

so it was my trusty therapist Miss S. Machine, that saved my soul and pulled me through, she took my 'anger and frustration' and channelled it into some serious creative energy...not even a squeak did she make until we had finished our mission of three bucket bags, seven full slips and three half slips...and then she made a rather nasty deep throaty growl, several gasps and a hiccup and then it was all over...

i don't mind telling you that i wept a little, i knew that i had pushed her to the brink, after all there is only so much a little sewing machine can bear, she has carried my woes of sadness this week and my tears of joy last week, all on her little shoulders...i carefully carried her to my chair and laid her down, i covered her with my 'took a thousand hours, knitted from my stash' blanket and am now praying for a small miracle to happen (my man did suggest that i read the manual, but as you know, Tif doesn't read manuals)...this was my first sign that Mr Bad Luck had invited himself in...do not weep for me dear readers, because the ever-so-lovely Miss Margery has come to visit the studio, she is all the way from our #1's bedroom...she's very sweet, seems to know what she's doing and actually (i'm whispering this bit so Miss S. Machine doesn't hear) seems to run smoother and faster!

no 'boxes' today, you'll have to wait until tomorrow because today is my favorite day of the week, yes it's 'Show and Tell', three cheers for 'Show and Tell'. so below are a few of the things that finally caused Miss S. Machine's emotional breakdown. if you would like to take a closer look, they are all hanging around over here...




and for my guest appearance (ooh, i am so excited about this one) i give you Nicole, one of my lovely customers...i came across this picture while browsing (don't ask me how, oh okay then, i know it's sad, but i googled dottie angel...are you happy now..)
and to start with i didn't actually recognize why it was related to 'dottie angel' as it just appeared to be a very beautiful lady in a pretty dress by some flowers (yes i know, it's flowers in yards again, i just can't help myself, i want a flower in my backyard too)...when i took a closer look, i realized it was a dottie angel slip, being worn as a dress over another slip...i asked Nicole if i could show all you lovely people out there, because i think it just proves how pretty a vintage slip looks worn as a summer frock...(a brief pause, as Nicole accepts her bouquet and curtsies to the standing ovation she has just received from us all)

more tales of 'Mr Bad Luck' await for tomorrow, he's made himself at home on my couch and is staying for a while ~ Tif

13 comments:

Hear Me Roar! said...

Who the heck invited 'Mr Bad Luck' in to sit on the couch??

I wanted to share with you some snippets of conversation from my own household. Not because it's interesting or anything, but because your blog gives some of us so much to live for!

Me: "I was reading Tif's blog the other day. Did you know that in England there is such a thing as chocolate spread? Oh yes. CHOCOLATE spread."

Him: Chocolate spread?

Me (voice cracking a bit): YES! CHOCOLATE spread!

Him: Like Nutella, that stuff you made me eat on your birthday on a croissant?

Me: NO Honey. BETTER. Nutella is the bastard cousin of true chocolate spread Honey Bunny. I've been fooled my entire life.

Him: Oh really now...

Tif, you're changing lives.

dottie angel said...

i am desperately trying to think of something to say, but as usual, you leave me speechless, Tasha...

nursenicole said...

thank you for posting the picture...i am sorry about your sewing mishaps...i will keep a good though for you...

Francesca said...

poor miss s, a moment of silence perhaps? and all hail margery, our new leader! oh dear, slightly dottie myself this morning.
those bags are gorgeous.

gilfling said...

Oh I feel for you! I would be utterly lost and distraught without my machines (bernina's x 2) yep that is the answer, bernina's all the way. I adore your new bags and slips - just beautiful.

Tracy x said...

oh you poor girls - if Cadburys heaven in a jar was not lined up in my kitchen cupboard at ALL times then life would be bad.
How do you manage to eat toast?
In fact - how do you manage to eat at all?
Do you both even know that you can go visit a place called Cadbury's world which has a shop FULL TO THE BRIM of jars and packs and bars?????
And to aid you on the tour of the factory they hand out bars of the stuff.
i think i may have to become a dealer in chocolate spread - perhaps fill a suitcase twice a year with the "good stuff", arrive at the airport where no doubt the pair of you will not even say hello - instead just grab the loot and leave.......

As for Mr Bad Luck - stop being so nice to him and offering him home comforts - kick him out.

Tracy x

Gigibird said...

I think strictly speaking Cadbury’s chocolate spread should be the bastard cousin of Nutella not the other way around….I was always lead to believe that Nutella having –er nuts was the superior of the two – buy hey I’m not an expert in chocolate spread although I now feel compelled to buy some to see what it tastes like as I believe I have never tried it!
The lovely Nicole in the Dottie Angel slip – how shall I say this without wanting to offend – it was refreshing to see a lady with a bit of flesh on her – not that I have anything against slim people except I can’t relate to their problems of sticky out bones and fried egg boobs….we all have our crosses….and I guess it also answers a question - does Dottie do a large? Good, now one of your creations can be added to my wish list:)
My blessed sewing machine could do with a bit of a service but basically I don’t trust some ham fisted man to touch her and make her little problems worse….winding a bobbin by hand isn’t the end of the world……

Unknown said...

Oh yes, I agree with Tasha and can't wait to try the REAL deal! Meanwhile I am in heaven looking at your slips. The black is my favorite today... So Aundrey!

Anonymous said...

Awww, hang in there babe, Mr. Bad Luck will be gettin' his booty outta there soon I hope :)

Violette Crumble said...

I gasped when I saw your latest creations- love them!
When the day comes that my spare tire finally goes away I am going to reward myself with a D.A. half slip to wear around town with a tank top.

In the mean time I am slowing up the process of losing the tire by e-mailing my relatives still over in Ireland to see if any of them ever see the spread in the local supermarkets. I still feel like it would be shameful to order some online, but I may do so in secret and pretend I found it at a store.

Hear Me Roar! said...

Tif, you are the world's most dedicated blogger EVER. To bring me some of the delicious chocolate spread at my place of business so that I may offer my INFORMED opinion... well that is just beyond compare. I have to say the Cadbury's was every bit as creamy and smooth and delicious as the Nutella, but I feel I must recant my earlier statement that Nutella is the 'bastard cousin' (I can be downright cranky in the morning, can't I?). In the end I feel that Nutella has a twist in that it has the hazelnuts, which adds a touch of special flavor that you can't really get in anything else. The chocolate spread is divine, but you do get the feeling that you've had that flavor before. But the chocolate spread does have one DISTINCT advantage for us metrically challenged Americans that say we're trying to lose weight but still want chocolate spread - I can't figure out the nutrition information label. YES! That means it's free calories! Woo Hoo I win!

*Tif, this was long enough, can I be excused from writing on my own blog for today?

dottie angel said...

you may be excused...and the very reason why chocolate spread is far superior to nutella is the fact that it does NOT contain nuts...one of my biggest dislikes in the tastebud department is nuts and chocolate, don't mind them apart but never ever together...thank you for taking the consumer survey, Tasha...i look forward to hearing from more readers as and when they get the chance to compare...

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog. I am loving what you do with those vintage slips! What a clever idea : )